April 24, 2009
CKC ended our 2 year celebration of AIA 150 – CKC anniversaries with our own ‘Architectural Thunder over Louisville’. Bill Scott presented what I consider the best architectural presentation ever in this city. It did go a bit long, but it was worth every minute and I’ve never seen that large of an audience stay for the entire presentation. That itself was a tribute to Bill’s detailed and well planned / illustrated talk.
And this was the appropriate conclusion to our many events over the past two years. Thanks to all who participated and assisted in all these various events. It was indeed a great celebration of what I think is the best AIA chapter’s in the country.
Here is list of all the AIA 150 – CKC 100 events:
1. October 21, 2006: Portland neighborhood design charrette:
A Design Charette by the American Institute of Architects / Central Kentucky Chapter:
Louisville’s Portland Neighborhood: Livability, Sustainability, Viability by Design
2. April 3, 2007: Arrasmith lecture: Well attended event with over 100 people. Event honored the legacy of local architect William Arrasmith.
3. April 5, 2007: ‘AIA—CKC Day’ Proclamation by Mayor Abramson
4. May 16, 2007: AIA CKC ‘Commemorative’ photo at Humana Building. All AIA architects and associates were invited to come out for the photo and 75 did. This is a historic photo that will hopefully last a long, long time.
Outline of the photo identifying all of the participant by number.
List of Names of Architects Historic Photo.
5. May 16, 2007: WFPL ‘State of Affairs’ on Louisville Architecture
6. May 23, 2007: AIA president R. K. Stewart luncheon & Meeting with Mayor Abramson.
7. May 23, 2007: Michael Graves lecture at Pamela Brown Auditorium of Actors Theater. We had a very large turnout.
8. April 9—May 22, 2007: Photo contest: For more details click on this link.
9. October 17, 2007: 2008 Calendar of Louisville Architecture: For more details click on this link.
10. November 29, 2007: Richard Guy Wilson lecture on Stratton Hammon.
11. February 22, 2008: ‘America’s Favorite Architecture’ exhibit at U of L’s Cressman Center
12. June 27, 2008: Ouerbacker Mansion saved. Thank you to Scott Kremer, who led the effort of purchasing this great landmark from the city of Louisville and creating a foundation to restore the house.
13. October 2008: Reprint “Catalogue of the First Architectural Exhibition” 1912: For more information click on this link.
14. April 23, 2009: Lecture by William Scott, Jr. on Charles Julian Clarke and Arthur Loomis. Link to poster.
Our Thanks to the Committee:
Steve Wiser, Chairman
CKC AIA 150 committee
502 583 4697 ext. 17
Dan Church, Co-Chair
CKC AIA 150 Committee
AIA Ky AIA 150 Chair